Extension activities for As Big As The Sky
Please email me at email@example.com if you’d like me to read to your students via zoom. There is no charge, but a donation to Marion Medical Mission of any amount would be appreciated.
- Bring in a ten-pound bucket of water (or less) to show student how hard the chore of carrying water is. (Don’t let kids or yourself be hurt by trying!)
- Paint rocks like Prisca did in the story.
- Make paper bead necklaces like Prisca’s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMG40809rws
- Make corn husk dolls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=081Fz1bPpmg
- Make a soccer ball out of plastic bags. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZVY6DStW24 (If you go to the middle of this video, it shows a boy making the ball and then children playing with it.)
- Make a wire car using scrap wire and scrap wood or plastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZSNSEaVq1c
- Go to the website: asbigasthesky.org and look at the pictures in the Malawi and Marion Medical Mission tabs. Have a discussion about what you see.
- Make a Venn diagram categorizing differences and similarities between your life and a life in rural Malawi.